Parents are the single most important influence on their children’s decision to drink alcohol or smoke marijuana. It is very simple. Parents who express positive attitudes towards drinking and smoking are more likely to have kids that drink before they are legal and to smoke marijuana. Children whose parents warn them of the dangers of alcohol and drugs are less like to start drinking underage. Here are some suggestions for parents.
- Talk to you kids about the dangers of drinking and smoking.
- Make sure they understand to drink responsibly if they are going to drink
- DO NOT MAKE ALCOHOL AVAILABLE
- Get to know their friends
- Supervise all parties to make sure there is no alcohol.
- IT IS OKAY TO NOT BE THE “COOL” PARENT-YOUR KIDS WILL APPRECIATE IT WHEN THEY ARE ALIVE AND OLDER.